Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 September 2018

Poem - E. J. Dempsey


The Blood Vote
By E. J. Dempsey (not W.R. Winspear)

Why is your face so white, mother?
 Why do you choke for breath?
 O I have dreamt in the night, my son
 That I doomed a man to death

Why do you hide your hand, mother?
 And crouch above it in dread?
 It beareth a dreadful branch, my son
 With the dead man's blood 'tis red

I hear his widow cry in the night
 I hear his children weep
 And always within my sight, O God!
 The dead man's blood doth leap

They put the dagger into my grasp.
 It seemed but a pencil then
 I did not know it was a fiend a gasp
 For the priceless blood of men

They gave me the ballot paper.
 The grim death-warrant of doom,
 And I smugly sentenced the man to death
 In that dreadful little room.

I put it inside the Box of Blood
 Nor thought of the man I'd slain
 Till at midnight came like a whelming flood
 God's word and Brand of Cain

O little son! O my little son!
 Pray God for your Mother's soul
 That the scarlet stain may be white again
 In God's great Judgement Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment