Search This Blog

Friday 28 September 2018

Poem - Mary Gilmore


The End of Joyousness
By Mary Gilmore

1892

Far down she hangs – the yellow moon
That slowly sinks. Ah, me! so soon
She will be gone. I here, alone,
Await, while broken sounds are blown
From out the dark’ning caves of night,
Alone, await the end of that
Which brought the gladsomeness of light
Within the circlet of my life.

Dear one, was love like ours so small
A thing that we could change and fall
Apart, and, drifting farther, feel
No more the pulsings that reveal
That love lies wakeful in the heart?
Change so that all that we had dreamed
Was fair, could be no more a part
Of joyousness for you and me?

O God! that this should be! and yet,
When yonder radiant moon is set,
Yon moon that droops so low, so low,
Above the waiting west, I know
That that from which my being shrinks-
The aching pain of love betrayed-
Will fill my heart. O moon that sinks,
The end comes fast – set not too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment