Search This Blog

Friday 28 September 2018

Poem - Edward Lording


When this bleedin' war is over
By Edward Lording


When this bleedin' war is over,
 Oh, how happy I shall be;
 When I get my civvie clothes on,
 No more soldiering for me.

 Now the bleedin' war is over,
 Oh, how happy was I there;
 Now old Fritz and I have parted,
 Life's one everlasting care.

 No more estaminets to sing in,
 No ma'moiselles to make me gay;
 Civvie life's a bleedin' failure,
 I was happy yesterday.

 Now I've got my civvie clothes on,
 Oh, how happy I shall be;
 When I get my devil's tail on,
 No more civvie life for me.
 Only one more operation,
 Only one more pension day;
 Ere I hop across the sand-bags,
 Where old soldiers fade away.

 When in Hell I join my cobbers,
 Oh, how happy I shall be;
 Heaping coals upon the blighters
 Who have dished it out to me.
 Feeding brimstone to the Kaiser,
 Oh, how happy I shall be;
 When the War Lords get their issue,
 No more hell on earth for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment