Search This Blog

Saturday 29 September 2018

Poem - Private William M. McDonald


A Spray of Wattle
By Private William M. McDonald



The wattle blooms in Australia yet,
As is shown by a spray I hold;
It comes from the land of the grand sunset
Where the hearts are all of gold.

The wattle blooms in Australia yet,
And a bloom was sent to me;
’Tis the kindest thought that I have met
On this side of the sea.

It speaks to me of days I’ve known
And spent 'neath its generous shade;
Where it grows with a fragrance all its own
In its native forest glade.

It speaks to me of days I’ve spent
When the pulse of life beat high,
In gullies filled with bushland scent,
Where the hot winds seldom sigh.

The wattle blooms in Australia yet,
And a fair maid sent a bloom
From a land wherein my heart is set,
Where the sunshine breaks the gloom.

The wattle blooms in Australia yet,
And the sun will shine for me
When I meet the maid of the grand sunset
Where the wattle blooms so free.

No comments:

Post a Comment