Search This Blog

Saturday 29 September 2018

Poem - Leslie George Rub


A farewell glass
By Leslie George Rub

Tonight I am drinking a farewell glass
To the days that used to be
And I’ll say goodbye at the break of dawn
To the land that is dear to me.

For I’ve one suit that a soldier wears
My knapsack’s packed and so
Just wish me luck in a glass of ale
Old pals before I go.

Just wish me luck and we’ll pledge the names
Of the absentee
Who’s doing his bit for freedom’s sake
In old Gallipoli.

Who’s doing his bit with a naked sword
That ne’er shall be sheathed again
Till we’ve shown the foe that no Austral son
E’er bled in vain.

So fill ‘em again for the last old time
Don’t mind what the wowsers say
And a long goodbye to Drayton town
We sail at the break of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment