Search This Blog

Saturday 29 September 2018

Poem - Oliver ‘Trooper Bluegum’ Hogue


To My Camel
By Oliver ‘Trooper Bluegum’ Hogue


You're an ugly smellful creature:
You're a blot upon the plain:
I have seen Mohamed beat you,
And it gave me little pain.
You're spiteful and you're lazy,
You'd send a white man crazy,
But I reckon you're a daisy
When the Turks come out again.

Your head is most unsightly,
And so is your humpy back;
I hear you roaring nightly,
When you're loading for the track.
You're bow-legged and you're bandy,
But in this desert sandy
It's as well to have you handy:
You're a mighty useful hack.

You shake me something cruel
When you try to do a trot;
I've got to take my gruel,
But you make it very hot:
I've somehow got a notion
That your humpty-dumpty motion
Is worse than on the ocean,
It's a nasty way you've got.

It's a sun-scorched land, the East is,
So we need you when we trek:
My old prad a better beast is,
But he'd soon become a wreck:
You thirst a week unblinking,
And when I see you drinking,
You always set me thinking:
Lord, I wish I had your neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment